Terms and conditions
Learn more about our website
About this Site
The Site is provided by HSBC Bank Plc (“HSBC”, “we” and “us”) and provides documentation for certain Testing Facilities and various HSBC Group APIs. If you access the Hong Kong Open Banking APIs, this Site is provided by the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited.
HSBC Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. It is listed with the registration number 114216. HSBC Bank Plc is a company incorporated under the laws of England and Wales with company registration number 14259 and its registered office at 8 Canada Square, HSBC Bank Plc’s registered VAT number is GB 365684514.
This document sets out the terms and conditions ("Terms") of this Site, unless you access the Hong Kong Open Banking APIs in which case these terms and conditions apply instead ("Terms"). These Terms govern your use of this Site together with the provision and use of any interface or data obtained through on or accessed via this Site including the APIs.
By accessing this Site, you agree to be bound by these Terms so please read these Terms carefully. The Privacy Notice and Cookie Notice explain how we collect, use and share your personal information and what information we store on or read from the device you use to access this Site. We may change the content or services found on this Site at any time without notice, and / or these Terms, the Cookies Notice or the Privacy Notice at any time without notice. You should visit this page regularly to check for any changes, and by continuing to use this Site you are agreeing to any changes to these Terms. These Terms were last amended on 29th March 2021.
We will not charge you for access to this Site and we do not guarantee that the Site, or any content on it, will always be available or uninterrupted. We may suspend or restrict access to the Site or any part of it for business, regulatory or operational purposes. We will endeavour to give reasonable notice of any suspension .
- APIs means the API provided by HSBC Group and made available on the Site. For the avoidance of doubt APIs does not include any third party APIs which may be offered through this Site.
- API Documentation means any information, guidance, specifications or other documentation and information provided via this Site or otherwise to you about the APIs, this Site or the Testing Facilities.
- Developer means a third party who provides technology services to you: (i) to enable you to access and use any element of the APIs or Testing Facilities; (ii) to support your API Testing and / or (iii) to facilitate your integration of and / or to maintain the integration of any of the APIs into your application.
- HSBC means HSBC UK Bank plc, and references to "we", "us" or "our" are references to HSBC and / or the HSBC Group, as applicable.
- API Terms means any terms and conditions that apply to your use of any API, or to the integration of any API with a system or service.
- API Testing means your (or a Developer acting on your behalf’s) testing of any application developed or used by you, or developed on your behalf, for the purposes of enabling your access to, benefit from, reliance on and / or interaction or integration with the APIs;
- HSBC Group HSBC Holdings plc, its subsidiaries, related bodies corporate, associated entities and undertakings and any of their branches. full details of all relevant members are available at Appendix 1.
- Intellectual Property Rights means any right, title or interest in: copyrights, rights in databases, patents, inventions, patents, trademarks, trade names, goodwill, rights in internet domain names and website addresses, designs, know how, trade secrets and other rights in confidential information, whether registered, unregistered or not capable of being registered in any country or jurisdiction including all other rights having equivalent or similar affects which may now or in the future subsist anywhere in the world.
- Licence Terms means any licence applying to the use of any third party APIs (other than those provided by HSBC available on this Site) including but not limited to the Open Banking Open Licence (available: https://www.openbanking.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Open-Licence.pdf).
- Site means https://develop.hsbc.com.
- Site Account means any user account created on this Site.
- Terms means these Terms and Conditions.
- Testing Documentation means any information, guidance, specifications or other documentation and information provided via this Site about the Testing Facilities.
- Testing Facilities means one or more testing environments, activities, or sandboxes that we provide or make available to you on this Site to: (i) access the API Documentation; and / or (ii) enable you to carry out API Testing.
- You or you means the person accessing this Site or using the APIs available via this Site.
Access and licenses
- In consideration of your compliance with the Terms, we grant you a non-exclusive, royalty free, revocable, non-transferable and non-sub licensable licence to access and use the Site, the Testing Facilities and the Testing Documentation.
- Access to certain restricted parts of the Site, the Testing Facilities, the Testing Documentation, the API Documentation and the APIs may be granted at our absolute discretion (or that of another member of the HSBC Group) and/or your satisfaction of regulatory requirements. Where such access is granted, it may be subject to your creation of a Site Account, your agreement to further terms or other obligations as we may require and may be withdrawn at any time without notice or liability (to the extent permissible by applicable law).
- Your use of any third party APIs are subject to any relevant API Terms and any Additional Licence Terms. You are responsible for your access to the Site, use of the Testing Facilities and Testing Documentation and for all activities that occur whilst you are logged into your Site Account. If you know or suspect that anyone other than you knows your Site Account user name or password or any details relating to your organisation that might allow your Site Account to be used by others, you must notify us immediately by using the Contact us found under the Help menu.
- Your use of any third party links contained on this Site is at your own risk. We are not responsible for the content of any other web sites or pages linked to or from this Site and have not verified the content of any such web sites, or pages.
- You must ensure compliance with all applicable law in connection with your use of this Site, the Testing Facilities, the Testing Documentation, the API Documentation and the APIs.
Intellectual property rights
- We or other members of the HSBC Group are the owner or licensee of all Intellectual Property Rights subsisting in the APIs, API Documentation, the Testing Facilities, the Testing Documentation and this Site. All rights in and to the APIs, the API Documentation, the Testing Facilities, the Testing Documentation and this Site are reserved.
- You acknowledge that we are the owner or the licensee of all Intellectual Property Rights in material published on this Site (including for the avoidance of doubt any user-generated information and comments posted by third parties on the Site). All such rights are reserved.
- You may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from this Site for your own use.
- Nothing in these Terms shall be construed as granting any rights for you to use any HSBC logos, trademarks or branding.
Prohibitions on use
Except as may be permitted under applicable law, you must not use the APIs, API Documentation, the Testing Facilities, the Testing Documentation or this Site:
- for any purpose which is unlawful, abusive, libelous, obscene or threatening;
- except to the extent expressly permitted under these Terms and under any API Terms, attempt to adapt, copy, modify, download, display, duplicate, create derivative works from, republish, transmit, or distribute all or any portion of the APIs, API Documentation, the Testing Facilities, the Testing Documentation or this Site.
- either in whole or part, attempt to reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise reduce to human-perceivable form all or any part of the APIs, the Testing Facilities or this Site;
- for purposes of misuse by knowingly or unknowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful;
- for any purpose that could, or could potentially infringe the Intellectual Property Rights, privacy, confidentiality or other rights of any third party; or
- for any other purpose other than that for which your access was granted.
To the fullest extent permitted by law, and unless expressly set out to the contrary in these Terms:
- all warranties and terms which would otherwise be implied by law, custom or usage are excluded from these Terms;
- all access to this Site and (where you have been granted access) to the APIs and the Testing Facilities is made available to you on an "as is" and "as available" basis. We may suspend your access to, suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change, all or any of the Site, your Site Account, the Testing Facilities, the Testing Documentation, the API Documentation or the APIs at any time without notice or liability;
- we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied that this Site, the Testing Facilities, the Testing Documentation, the API Documentation or the APIs (including any data obtained through the APIs) is accurate, complete or up-to-date although we do use reasonable care to ensure that this Site, the Testing Facilities, the Testing Documentation, the API Documentation and the APIs are accurate in so far as this is within our control.
- We do not guarantee that our Site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses, you are responsible for configuring and securing your own information technology, computer programmes, platforms and equipment and should use your own virus protection software.
We may suspend your access to the Site, your Site Account, or terminate these Terms at any time if in our sole discretion:
- you are in breach of any of the terms and conditions of these Terms;
- you or your Site Account suffer a security breach that impacts on the confidentiality or integrity of this Site; or
- we have a legitimate concern about your use of this Site or your Site Account.
Liability and Indemnities
- Nothing in these Terms excludes or limits our liability for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, or our fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation, or any other liability that cannot be excluded or limited by law.
- To the full extent permitted by law, in no event will we, any other member of the HSBC Group, or any third party API providers be liable to you for any loss or damage (whether direct or indirect), whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- your use, or inability to use this Site, your Site Account, the Testing Facilities, the Testing Documentation, the API Documentation or the APIs; or
- your use of or reliance on any content accessed through this Site or the APIs.
- the secure storage of data that you may load to the sandbox during your use of the Testing Facility. All data loaded to the sandbox should be test data, unrepresentative of any live data associated with a transactional arrangement with HSBC.
- Notwithstanding the remainder of this Clause 8, the total aggregate liability of the HSBC Group, whether in contract, tort (including negligence and breach of statutory duty, howsoever arising), misrepresentation (whether negligent or innocent), restitution or otherwise, arising under or in connection with these Terms shall be limited to £500 in aggregate.
- Relationship: Nothing in, and no action taken under, these Terms creates a relationship of principal and agent between you and HSBC or any other HSBC Group member, or otherwise authorises you to bind HSBC or any other HSBC Group member.
- Assignment: you may not assign, transfer or permit the exercise by any other party of your rights under these Terms. We may subcontract, assign or novate these Terms or any of our rights to any member of the HSBC Group or third party.
- Entire Agreement: These Terms, together with the documents referred to in it, constitutes the entire agreement and understanding between the parties in respect of the matters dealt with in it and supersedes any previous agreement between the parties in relation to such matters.
- Governing Law and Jurisdiction: The Terms are governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and the courts of the above jurisdiction will have exclusive jurisdiction in respect of any dispute, which may arise.
If you have any questions in respect of these terms, please send us a message using the Contact us form found under the Help menu or contact your Integration Manager (Corporate customers).
|Jurisdiction||Legal entity||Full details|
HSBC UK Bank plc
Marks & Spencer Financial Services plc
|HSBC UK Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. It is listed with the registration number 765112. HSBC UK Bank plc is a company incorporated under the laws of England and wales with company registration number 9928412 and its registered office at 1 Centenary Square, Birmingham, B1 1HQ. HSBC UK Bank plc’s registered VAT number is GB 365684514. first direct is a division of HSBC UK Bank plc
HSBC Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. It is listed with the registration number 114216. HSBC Bank plc is a company incorporated under the laws of England and Wales with company registration number 14259 and its registered office at 8 Canada Square, London E14 5HQ. HSBC Bank plc’s registered VAT number is GB 365684514
M&S Bank is a trading name of Marks & Spencer Financial Services plc. Registered in England No. 1772585. Registered Office: Kings Meadow, Chester, CH99 9FB. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Marks & Spencer Financial Services plc is entered in the Financial Services Register under reference number 151427. M&S Bank is part of the HSBC Group. Marks & Spencer is a registered trademark of Marks and Spencer plc and is used under licence. © Marks & Spencer Financial Services plc 2018. All rights reserved
|Germany||HSBC Trinkaus & Burkhardt AG||Regulatory authority:
German Federal Financial Supervisory Authority (Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht), Graurheindorfer Str. 108, 53117 Bonn, Germany and Marie-Curie-Straße 24-28, 60439 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
European Central Bank, Sonnemannstraße 20, 60314 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Commercial Register entries:
Dusseldorf District Court, commercial register no. HRB 54447
VAT ID No.:
|France||HSBC Continental Europe (previously HSBC France)||HSBC Continental Europe is supervised by the European Central Bank (ECB), as part of the Single Supervisory Mechanism (SSM), the French Prudential Supervisory and Resolution Authority (l’Autorité de Contrôle Prudentiel et de Résolution 4, place de Budapest, CS 92459, 75436 Paris Cedex 09, France) (ACPR) as the French National Competent Authority and the French Financial Markets Authority (l’Autorité des Marchés Financiers (AMF) for the activities carried out over financial instruments or in financial markets. Further, HSBC France is registered as an insurance broker with the French Organisation for the Registration of financial intermediaries (Organisme pour le Registre unique des Intermédiaires en Assurance, banque et finance – www.orias.fr) under nr.07005894.|
|Czech Republic||HSBC Continental Europe, pobočka Praha||HSBC Continental Europe a company incorporated under the laws of France as a société anonyme (registered number 775 670 284 RCS Paris), having its registered office at 103, avenue des Champs-Elysées, 75008 Paris, France, is authorised as a credit institution and investment services provider by the Autorité de Contrôle Prudentiel et de Résolution (ACPR), regulated by the Autorité des Marchés Financiers (AMF) and the ACPR and controlled by the European Central Bank and is lawfully established in the Czech Republic through a branch HSBC France - pobočka Praha with its registered office at Na Florenci 2116/15, Nové Město, 110 00 Praha, the Czech Republic, identification number 07482728, registered in the Commercial Register kept by the Municipal Court in Prague, Section A, Insert 78901.|
|Mexico||HSBC Mexico plc., Multiple Banking Institution Financial Group HSBC||HSBC México, S.A., Institución de Banca
Múltiple, Grupo Financiero HSBC, having its registered office at en Paseo de la Reforma No.347,
Col. Cuauhtémoc, C.P. 06500, México D.F.
|Malta||HSBC Bank Malta plc||HSBC Bank Malta p.l.c. (HSBC Bank) having registration number C 3177 and its registered office at 116, Archbishop Street, Valletta, VLT 1444, Malta.|
|Greece||HSBC Continental Europe, Athens Branch||HSBC Continental Europe is lawfully established in Greece as a branch, duly registered with the General Commercial Registry (GEMI), with registered office at 109-111 Messoghion Ave., Athens. HSBC Continental Europe, Athens branch is authorized by the ECB, the ACPR and the Bank of Greece; its banking activities in Greece are further subject to limited supervision by the Bank of Greece (21 Eleftheriou Venizelou, Athens) and the Hellenic Capital Market Commission (1 Kolokotroni, Athens) exclusively with regard to the issues provided for by the applicable legislation.|
|Ireland||HSBC Continental Europe, Dublin Branch||HSBC Continental Europe, Dublin Branch which is a registered business name of HSBC Continental Europe, a branch registered in Ireland (registration number 908966) having its registered office at 1 Grand Canal Square, Grand Canal Harbour, Dublin 2, D02 P820 and regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland for conduct of business rules.|
|Poland||HSBC Continental Europe (Spółka Akcyjna) Oddział w Polsce||HSBC Continental Europe (Spółka Akcyjna) Oddział w Polsce, with its seat in Warsaw, at Rondo ONZ 1, 00-124 Warsaw, and registered in the register of entrepreneurs of the National Court Register maintained by the District Court in Warsaw, XII Commercial Department of the National Court Register under KRS No. 0000757904, with a tax identification number NIP 107-00-41-832, the branch of HSBC Continental Europe, a French société anonyme with a share capital of EUR 428368915, fully paid up, whose corporate seat is 103 Avenue des Champs Elysées, 75008 Paris, registered with the Trade and Companies Registry of Paris (Registre du Commerce et des Societas) under number 775 670 284, with a Polish NIP number 107-00-41-803
|Italy||HSBC Continental Europe, Milan Branch||HSBC Continental Europe is authorised as a credit institution and investment services provider by the Autorité de Contrôle Prudentiel et de Résolution (ACPR), regulated by the Autorité des Marchés Financiers (AMF) and the ACPR and controlled by the European Central Bank and is lawfully established in Italy through a branch with its registered office at Via Mike Bongiorno 13, 20124 Milan, registered at the Italian Chamber of Commerce under number 10470920967.|
|Belgium||HSBC Continental Europe, Brussels Branch||HSBC Continental Europe, Brussels Branch is a branch of HSBC Continental Europe.
HSBC France is incorporated under the laws of France as a société anonyme (SIREN number 775 670 284 RCS Paris), having its registered office at 103, avenue des Champs-Elysées, 75008 Paris, France
HSBC France, Brussels Branch is located Square de Meeûs 23, 1000 Brussels with registered number 0708.865.310.
|Netherlands||HSBC Continental Europe, Amsterdam Branch||HSBC Continental Europe, Amsterdam Branch is located De Entree 236, 1101 EE Amsterdam Z.O., the Netherlands, and is registered in the Trade Register of the Amsterdam Chamber of Commerce under number 000040776689.
HSBC Continental Europe, Amsterdam Branch is a branch of HSBC Continental Europe.
HSBC Continental Europe is incorporated under the laws of France as a société anonyme (SIREN number 775 670 284 RCS Paris), having its registered office at 103, avenue des Champs-Elysées, 75008 Paris, France.
|Spain||HSBC Continental Europe, Sucursal en España||HSBC Continental Europe, Sucursal en España, Spanish Tax ID number: W-2502598-B. – Number of Register in Bank of Spain (Branches of Foreign EU Credit Entities Register) under the number 0162), with registered address at Torre Picasso, Planta 33, Pza. Pablo Ruiz Picasso, nº 1 - 28020 Madrid. Registered in the Mercantile Registry of Madrid under the codes T.38.314, Secc. 8 (L.Sociedades), F.1, M-681702, Ins, 1ª. and supervised by the Bank of Spain and the National Securities Market Commission (“CNMV”).
HSBC Continental Europe, Sucursal en España is a full branch of HSBC France, S.A. - SIREN number 775 670 284 and based in 103, avenue des Champs-Elysées, 75008 Paris, (France) and is supervised by the European Central Bank (“ECB”) and regulated by the Autorité de Contrôle Prudentiel et de Résolution (“ACPR”) and the Autorité des Marchés Financiers (“AMF”).
|CIIOM||HSBC Bank plc Jersey Branch
HSBC Bank plc Guernsey Branch
Isle of Man HSBC Bank plc
|HSBC Bank plc Jersey Branch is regulated by the Jersey Financial Services Commission for Banking, General Insurance Mediation and Investment Business.
HSBC Bank plc Guernsey Branch is licensed by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission for Banking, Insurance and Investment Business.
In the Isle of Man HSBC Bank plc is licensed by the Isle of Man Financial Services Authority.
|Luxembourg||HSBC Private Bank (Luxembourg) S.A.||HSBC Private Bank (Luxembourg) S.A., having its address at 16, Boulevard d’Avranches, L-1160 Luxembourg, Luxembourg.|
|Bahrain||HSBC Bank Middle East Limited Bahrain Branch||HSBC Bank Middle East Limited Bahrain Branch, P.O. Box 57, Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain, licensed and regulated by the Central Bank of Bahrain as a Conventional Retail Bank for the purpose of this promotion and lead regulated by the Dubai Financial Services Authority.|